Transfer out

Leaving the pension scheme? You may be able to transfer your benefits to another pension scheme.

Transfer of pension rights out of scheme

If you leave the NFPS having sufficient service to qualify for a pension but not being eligible for immediate payment because you are not old enough, nor retiring on grounds of ill health, as an alternative to a deferred pension you could request that your pension rights should be transferred to some other pension arrangement. A transfer value, a sum representing the capital value of your pension rights, would be assessed in accordance with guidance provided by the Scheme Actuary and offered to the trustees or managers of your new pension scheme. The transfer would take place if you so instruct.

You may leave employment with your current fire and rescue authority to transfer to another authority where you remain a member of the NFPS. (If the new employment is at a lower rate of pay, the split pension option would be available to you.) Although your pension rights will normally transfer with you, payments of transfer value are not exchanged between English fire and rescue authorities. However, a transfer value would be paid between an English authority and an authority in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland where different funding arrangements apply.

Help & FAQs

Our most frequently asked questions from members all in one place.

Help & FAQs Help & FAQs


All the pension related news in one place.

News LPPA News